Want to start a Blog?
In this Online world, Blog is an asset that anyone can access and get some useful information out of it.
You must have also heard about bloggers making thousands of dollars per year by writing Blogs. But how is it possible?
Can a text with few images make you a living?
Yes, it can!
But here is the twist – thousands of blogs are created every day. And many old blogs have occupied the top positions in Google Search results.
So, what is the scope of a new blog to compete with many such blogs and earn some real money?
Well, I am going to share with you how you can start a blog and monetize it to get maximum results in minimum time!
Just to let you know, I started this website from scratch with one of the most competitive niches in the market. Still, I was able to get good results in a mere few months.
Step by Step process to start a blog and monetize it!
Step 1. Ideas to start with
It all starts with an idea.
Before you start a blog, you have to think upon the niche or topic for your blog.
It means that first, you have to decide what your blog is about? On what particular topic you will write?
Before deciding on it, make sure that you are interested in the topic you select.
If you don’t love the topic, you will very soon run out of ideas and creativity! It will reflect in your writings and the visitors will find your posts unappealing.
For example, I have created many sites and have worked intensively on SEO (Search Engine Optimizations). Hence I decided to start a blog related to such topics. Just start with what you are good at.
Also, it would be just great if you do some keyword researching and check how many searches per month is your targeted keyword getting.
In order to do it, simply type in the keywords, phrases related to your topic/niche and then select it according to its volume per month. If some topics are getting 100,000 or more searches, it would be more profitable for you write on that topic.
Step 2. Name your Blog
The next step is to name your blog.
You can either select a name related to your topic/niche or a completely different name.
This is the name of your brand. A name by which the online world will remember you!
Step 3. Buy a Domain name
A domain name is a web address for your blog.
It is an address on which your website is found.
For example, mine is growurblog.com.
You can select an address which is similar to your website’s name. It is very much possible that the domain name you wanted is not available. In such case, you can either choose a different domain name (similar to your requirement) or select a title for which a domain name is available.
It is completely not necessary to have a domain name and website title same. You can choose a different title and a different domain name.
But it is generally not recommended to do.
A domain name will roughly cost you around 10$ per year (or less).
You can buy a domain name from any domain service providers like
Step 4. Purchase a Web Hosting plan
A web hosting is a service which allows your blog to be accessed from anywhere through the internet.
You need to buy a hosting if you want your website to go live on the web.
Now, you got two options –
1. You can either go for free hosting services provided by Google Blogger or WordPress.com free plan (not recommended).
2. Or you can choose a paid hosting plan from any of the services and make your own site (highly recommended).
I would recommend the following hosting providers –
Hosting will cost you anywhere around $2 to $15 per month.
If you are from India, Hostgator plan starts from only 200 rupees per month).
But, if you want a yearly plan, you can go with any of the above hosting services.
Step 5. Choose a platform on which you want to create a Blog.
After you have purchased a domain and a hosting plan, you need a platform on which you can start a blog.
There are many options available for the same –
I have created many sites on WordPress.org and highly recommend it.
Confused between WordPress.org and WordPress.com? Clear all your doubts! –
Let’s start with WordPress.org!
But before that, if you have bought a domain and hosting from the same service provider, you don’t need to do anything and carry on with installing WordPress.
On the other hand, if you have bought the domain name and hosting from different providers, you have to update the nameservers in your domain account by the one provided by your hosting account.
For example, if you bought a domain name from Bigrock and hosting from Hostgator, you have to log in to Bigrock(domain) and then click on Nameservers. Update them with the ones provided by Hostgator.
( Note that updating the nameservers will take some time usually up to 24 hrs).
I will use Hostgator hosting to show you how you can install WordPress on your self-hosted website (this process is almost similar for any web hosting service providers).
1. Open c-panel from your Hostgator account.
2. Once in, scroll down to Apps Installer section and select WordPress.
3. Fill out all the necessary details (site info, username, password, etc) and select Install now.
4. After the installation is complete, you can access your WordPress dashboard by going to www.example.com/wp-admin.
(Note that if you have updated your nameservers, it might take some time before you can access the WordPress dashboard)
Then click on “Login with username and password” and then login using password and username that you created while installing WordPress.
5. Now you will be greeted with your newly created website/blog (when you type in your domain in the address bar).
6. You have successfully installed WordPress on your website! Now it is time to explore it more.
Step 6. All about WordPress
After you have successfully installed WordPress on your hosting, you can create a beautiful blog using it.
But before that, you have to get hold of all the basic functions of WordPress dashboard and how it works. Don’t worry, it will be a cakewalk for you.
1. To create a blog post, simply click on posts and select Add New.
Write a masterpiece and then publish it!
3. Themes are the framework of your website. Selecting a perfect theme is a hard thing as you have to go through a pool of thousands of theme and come out with just one theme that suits your blog’s needs (You must be lucky if you find a perfect theme in one try!).
To change/select a new theme, navigate to Appearance > Themes > Add New.
You can also apply filters to narrow down your theme search results.
All the themes available here are free themes and has limited customizations.
You can also buy premium themes from sites like –
1. Studio Press – One of the best place to find premium themes. The prices are on a costlier side but worth your money.
2. Elegant Themes – Similar to Studio Press.
3. ThemeForest – Theme Forest has a huge collecion of premium themes with a wide range of prices. You can get a decent theme at a cheaper price from Theme Forest.
These themes come with a price tag but offer premium services for your blog.
Once you are done with all the basics, it is now time to install some recommended plugins to take your site to a whole new level.
Installing some recommended plugins!
One of the features, WordPress is famous for is Plugins.
There are over thousands of plugins to help you accomplish your tasks smoothly.
Here is a list of some must-have plugins!
1. Yoast SEO – One of the best tool to rank your site in Google Search Results by optimizing the On page and Off Page SEO.
2. Elementor – Elementor is a plugin which helps you create beautiful pages and posts with pre-defined templates and a wide range of functionality.
3. Woocommerce ( for e-commerce services) – An e-commerce plugin to sell products and services to your websites.
4. WP Super Cache – WP Super Cache helps you to speed up your site so that the web pages are served faster.
5. Ninja Forms – An all in one Contact Forms to connect with your visitors!
Step 7. Monetizing your Blog!
The next step in this tutorial is how you can monetize your Blog to earn real money.
In order to do so, you have to apply for Google AdSense.
I have posted a thorough and comprehensive guide on Google AdSense and how to make money with it.
Check it out – How to make money with Google AdSense: Complete Guide
Once you have an AdSense account you can insert ads on your WordPress blog and start making money!
To do so, you have to install a plugin known as Easy AdSense Ads.
With this plugin, you can easily insert ad codes on your WordPress Blog.
These are a few simple steps to start your blog in the right way.
Liked this post? Why not share it by clicking the share icons on the left and bottom!
Please comment to let me clear your doubts.
Great to have you here.