In this post, we will cover all the possible aspects of AdSense and how you can make money with Google AdSense! If you have just created a blog and plan to monetize it or use it as a good source of income, then you might have searched about the possible ways to earn money from blog/website. One of them is Google AdSense. Many bloggers use AdSense as a reliable and constant source of income and have earned millions from it. But many don’t even get an AdSense account approval. Why? The answer is that they don’t follow certain basic steps that are important to make money with Google AdSense. Let us go through the complete guide on how to make money with Google AdSense.
Complete Guide to make money with Google AdSense!
But first thing first, let us understand what Google AdSense is?
Google AdSense is a program run by Google (started in June 18, 2003) that allows publishers in the Google network of sites to serve automatic text, video or interactive media advertisements that are targeted to site content and audience (source: Wikipedia)It can be simplified and stated as –
For Bloggers, Google AdSense is a platform which allows them to display interactive and media-rich ads on their website and in return, they are paid.Have you ever seen a banner like this while surfing a website? These are the ads that Google displays on your website to promote products or services. In return, when any user on your website interacts with these ads, make money with Google AdSense! (Interaction means that you will be paid when the visitor clicks or view the ads displayed on your website).
Don’t have a blog/website? Follow my other articles to know how to create one! How to write a Blog? WordPress.org – How to create a site Blogger-How to make a blog in 2018
Why Google AdSense?
One might think that why Google AdSense is preferred by many over other ads platforms likeViglink, Infolinks, WordAds(WordPress advertising network), and many more? The obvious reason is that Google AdSense is a legitimate and trusted advertising program by Google. It also offers high and timely payouts! Millions of Bloggers prefer AdSense over other platforms and earn thousands of dollars per day by just using it. Let us see some of the benefits of Google AdSense.
Benefits of using Google AdSense
Now since we know what Google AdSense is and why it is preferred over other advertisements networks, let us dig deep into its benefits and understand why it is the best deal available right now!
But why is this important? Let us say that you have a blog on health where you write content related to health, nutrition, lifestyle, etc. What if ads related that are related to insurance is displayed on your website? Will the visitors on your site find it compelling to click those ads? The answer is obviously no! Why? Because people come to your website to read about health (the niche of your blog). If the ads displayed are related to health, more visitors will click on those ads which will result in an increase in revenue. So, by displaying contextual ads on your website, Google AdSense shows relative ads which in turn is profitable for the advertisers as well as the bloggers (publishers). Google uses cookie method to display relative ads on your website. It tracks the user’s search history to show relevant ads on your website which has a high click rate.
1. AdSense is a contextual ad network, which means that only those ads will be shown on your website/blog, which is related to your content. For example, if you have a post on Google AdSense, you are likely to see ads related to AdSense!
You don’t require any prior knowledge to use AdSense. It is a simple process to create and set up an AdSense account!
2. Google AdSense is very easy to use and set-up.
Yes, you only need to approve one AdSense account (with one website) and thereafter you can add advertisements to all your websites using that Google AdSense account! (provided your other websites compiles with the AdSense terms of service). In other ads platforms, you have to manually get an approval for every site in order to display ads. You can even monitor your YouTube and Mobile App earnings on Google AdSense.
3. You can manage ads on all your websites and blog by using just one account!
When it comes down to trust in handling your money, there is no better option than Google. It adds your hard earned income directly into your bank account on a timely basis. The minimum payout in Google AdSense is 100 dollars ( ₹6800 approx). Once you reach this limit, you will be asked to add your bank details(which is secure with them) so that they can transfer the money directly into your bank account. Google revealed that they pay 68% revenue to their publishers and keep the rest 32% for maintenance and development of new technologies. This means that if the advertiser pays 100 dollars (₹ 6800 approx), you will receive 68 dollars (₹4750). This is much more than what other services pay for showing ads on your website!
4. Google AdSense comes with high payout rates along with timely payments!
Responsive ads are those ads which automatically adapt to different screen sizes. It is really helpful for a better user experience as the user should not feel irritated by seeing choppy ads and eventually leave your site. These are also great for the mobile user experience as they automatically adapt to smaller screen sizes.
5. AdSense allows you to add responsive ads on your website.
In case you have doubts regarding Google AdSense you can check out the AdSense FAQs Google AdSense: Things you need to know! FAQs
Setting up an AdSense account
Before setting up an AdSense account for your website/Blog, you must have 3 things! 1. A Google account – A Gmail account is a must if you need to signup for Google AdSense. You can easily create a Gmail account by visiting gmail.com website. 2. A website – It is quite obvious that you need a website/blog where you will display ads. But the important thing that you should keep in mind is that your website has to comply with the Google AdSense program policies. You should follow these guides as Google can even ban your account if you are found violating them.
Read the Google AdSense policies here – AdSense program policies3. Contact info – Contact info like phone no, address, etc are required to sign up for AdSense account. Now, when you have completed all the three requirements, you are all set to create an AdSense account and start earning right away!
1. Visit the official website –Google AdSense 2. Click on the “SIGN UP NOW” button. 3. Enter the Google account that you created above and the URL of your website/blog in the respective fields. 4. Add the website URL which you want to approve for AdSense. 5. Select your country and territory. 6. After that review and accept the AdSense Terms and Conditions. 7. Click on create an account and you are done! Congratulations on successfully signing up for AdSense account! But you can only display ads on your website once you get a full approval to use your account. What does this mean? Google will review your AdSense application and decide whether your website is good enough to comply with their policies. Once they approve your application, you will be able to use Google Adsense and display ads on your website/blog. This process usually takes about 3 days on an average). After your account is approved, you can open Google AdSense dashboard which looks something like this –
Follow the steps to sign up for Google AdSense –
Not able to approve your account? Is Google rejecting your application everytime you apply for AdSense? I have prepared an article on how I was able to approve an AdSense account in just 1 week. Read it here – Adsense: How to approve account in 1 week! (2018)Once your account is approved, you can move on to the next steps to set up ads on your website.
Installing Ads on your website
I have divided this section into two parts! ( Note that the following techniques are the easiest and the fastest way to insert ads into your website)
Let us see the step by step guide to display ads on your website/blog ob Google Blogger. If you are using Google Blogger, then you can easily set up ads on your website using the AdSense auto ads feature. Auto ads were launched on February 21, 2018, by Google AdSense. They are ads that are automatically optimized and placed on your website with the help of Artificial Intelligence. You no longer to take the pain of ads placement and their conversion. Google will automatically determine the best ads, at the best places to maximize your revenue.
1. Setting up ads on Blogger (using Auto Ads)
To set up auto ads on your website follow these steps –1. Open your AdSense account and navigate to “My Ads” on the left navigation menu. 2. Click on “Auto Ads” option. 3. Click on setup “Auto Ads” and then configure your Global settings. 4. Select the type of ads that you want to show on your website. You can select In-page ads or overlay ads to show on your website. 5. Click on the last option “Automatically Get New Formats” and then click on “SAVE”. 6. It will show you a piece of code which you have to put under the <head> section of your blog. To do so, navigate to your Blogger dashboard and click on Theme option on the left menu. 7. Then click on edit HTML option (next to customize). 8. Under the <head> section, paste your code and you are all set. 9. Ads will take some time to appear on your website (it will not take more than a day). Keep patience. 10. Again, head over to the “Auto Ads” section in Google AdSense. Now, you can edit your global ads settings. Also, you can view how your ads are performing by selecting the “View auto ads report” icon. 11. You can also set up the “Advanced URL settings”. Using this you can disable or exclude ads to be shown on certain pages like homepage, contact page, etc.
Tip – You can also use Google Tag Manager to set up ads on each page.
Let us see the step by step guide to display ads on your WordPress website. I don’t use auto ads on my WordPress website because it is not able to function properly with my theme (and many other). Hence, I manually insert ads into my WordPress website.
2. Setting up ads on WordPress (using Ad Units)
To set up ads manually on the WordPress website, follow these steps –1. Open Google AdSense dashboard and navigate to “My Ads” on the left navigation menu. 2. Select the option “Ads Unit” and click on “New Ad Unit” 3. Select the type of ad you want to create. For example, let us select the In-article ads. You can select the other two depending on your needs. 4. Name your ad unit and configure its style, color, etc. 5. When you are done, click on “Save and Get Code”. 6. Now copy the code. 7. Head over to WordPress dashboard and select the “Add New Plugin” option. 8. Search for the plugin “Easy AdSense Ads – Ad Inserter & AdSense Ad Manager” and install it. 9. Now go to appearance and then select the option “Customize”. Here you will see the Easy AdSense Ads&Scripts option. Click on it. 10. select where you want to show ads on your pages. since I created In-article ads, I will select “Single Post and Page” option. 11. Next select at which place you want to show ads on your page/post and then copy the code from Google AdSense into the two fields (for desktop and for mobiles). 12. Select the option, “Enable this content area/ad ” and click on Publish! 13. Your ads will start appearing after some time! 14. Repeat the above steps to create more ads and display them on your website.
Tip –Google has removed the ads limit of 3 ads per page. Hence you can add any number of ads on a single webpage.
But it is not recommended to add more than 4-5 ads on a particular page as it will worsen the user experience and you may loose visitors to your site!
After installing ads on your website, the next thing you might want to do is to see how your ads are performing and most importantly how much revenue you are generating out of them. To check out the reports, head over to AdSense dashboard > Performance Reports > My Reports > Default Report. If you want to check out the performance of individual ads, you can click on the Filter option > +add > Ad units. Then select the ad for which you want to generate the report.
Practices you should avoid
Congratulations on getting your account approved! But it doesn’t mean that you are now eligible to violate Google AdSense policies. The following are certain tips which you should keep in mind to avoid getting “banned” by Google. 1. Avoid clicking your own ads! You might think that if Google is paying for the clicks on the ads, why can’t we click on those ads to make money with Google AdSense? The answer is that it is against the AdSense policies and your account can be banned for doing so. A huge price to pay, isn’t it? 2. Don’t use more than 4 or 5 ads on a single page! It will make your page choppy and will force the users to leave your site. 3. Avoid using Ads on pages like homepage, contact page, etc. 4. Never alter the AdSense code. Even if you are a programmer, you should never change or make changes to the ad code. It is against the Google AdSense policies and could gift you a ban from Google. 5. Never use two or more advertisement programs side by side. For example, if you are running Google AdSense ads on your website, never use WordAds (WordPress ads), Viglink, etc on your website. 6. Never use Adsense on a copyright website. If you run a website that distributes copyright kinds of stuff like games, movies, songs, etc. you are likely to get a ban from Google. 7. To read more about the AdSense Program Policies click here – AdSense program policies
How to increase AdSense Revenue by 100%
Are you satisfied with the poor quality of revenue that you are generating from AdSense? Obviously no. But why your income is low even when you are getting a decent amount of traffic on your website? The answer depends on various factors! Let us understand what they are and how you can increase your revenue by 100% and make money with Google AdSense. But before listing them, you have to understand some basic terms that are used very frequently by Google AdSense –
Page Views – Pageview is a view on a page or we can say that an instance of a page being loaded in a browser. Page RPM – Page RPM stands for Page Revenue Per Thousand Impressions. It is calculated by dividing your estimated earnings by the number of pageviews you received, then multiplying by 1000. For example, if you earned 1 dollar (₹ 70 approx) from 100 pageviews, then your page RPM would be > (1/100)*1000 = 10 dollars (₹700 approx). Impressions – Impressions are the number of times your ads are seen by the users on your website. Clicks – Clicks are the number of times users click on the ads displayed on your website. CPC – Cost Per Click or CPC is the cost or money that the advertisers pay for each click on the ads. For example if CPC is 0.5 dollars ( ₹35) then you will be paid the same when a user clicks on the ads displayed on your site. Page CTR – Click Through Rate is the number of clicks divided by the number of impressions on your website. Let us say a particular ad recieve 1000 impressions per day and the clicks on that ad is 100, then the CTR of that particular ad will be equal to 100/1000 = 0.1 * 100 = 10% (Page CTR is shown in percentage).
Now you know the key terms used in AdSense, let us see how you can increase your AdSense revenue by 100%.
1. Targeted Audiences –As I have already said earlier that the CPC in India is very low when you compare it with countries like the USA or UK. So in order to increase your CPC (and hence your income) try to target audiences in the high CPC paying countries. You will earn more money per click by targeting such countries.
2. Size and Location –The size and location of your ads are key factors in determining the revenue that you will generate. Try to experiment with different ad sizes and location. The in-article ads perform best so try to blend ads in between articles to increase your income. Also, make sure that the ads are responsive so that they can easily adapt to different screen sizes. If you are using AdSense auto ads, the size and placement of the ads won’t matter because AdSense will take care of it automatically. But if you are using different Ad Units, you have to consider their sizes and placements. I recommend using the following ad sizes –
336*280 ads 300*250 ads 728*90 ads 300*600 ads 320*100 ads Read more about them here – Guide to ad sizes (source: Google)
3. Related Ads –Make sure that the ads you are showing on your website are relevant to the content or the niche of your website. Sometimes some irrelevant ads might appear on your website which is the primary reason for low CTR and CPC. To disable such ads on your website, navigate to AdSense dashboard > Allow and Block Ads > Unreviewed. Block all the ads that are not related to your content or are not paying high CPC. You can also block those advertisers URL which is paying low CPC.
4. AdSense for Search –This is a feature provided by AdSense to further increase your AdSense revenue. Use AdSense for search feature to show search results within your page. This will add some more revenue to your net income and will also help users to navigate easily.
5. Other Add-ons –AdSense offers to show ads on other platforms like Mobile apps(Admob), YouTube and video integration(overlay ads) and game streaming. Make sure to add them to your source of income!
6. Experiments –Run experiments to get a big picture of what’s best for you. To run an experiment, navigate to Google AdSense dashboard > Optimization > Experiments.
Affiliate Marketing Vs Google AdSense
An important topic that I wanted to write about is the difference between Google AdSense and Affiliate marketing and how you can earn a maximum profit by intelligent use of them. Let us first understand what is Affiliate Marketing (I have a separate dedicated post on Affiliate marketing you can check out – Affiliate Marketing – Earn money online )
Affiliate Marketing –Affiliate marketing is a marketing process where we can earn money in the form of commissions by promoting any company’s product or services. In simple terms, we earn commissions by referring to or promoting other products on our websites For example, if I promote a product (of a company/service provider) by sharing the affiliate link provided to me(which is unique), and if any user purchase that services using my affiliate link, I will earn a commission. The most interesting fact about Affiliate marketing is that many users around the world are earning a huge amount of money out of it! If you ask me, affiliate marketing is better if you want to earn a good amount of money. My blog earns more from affiliate marketing rather than Google AdSense.
Reasons I prefer Affiliate Marketing over Google AdSense –
1. High output – you can earn a huge amount of money with just one sale. I earn around 50 dollars from one sale. With AdSense, getting this amount is difficult considering your site is new and could take many days to reach first 50/100 dollars. 2. Constant Payouts – With affiliate marketing, the commissions you get is fixed. It does not depend on various factors like CPC, CPM, country, etc. If a product commission is set to $50, you will receive $50 irrespective of any other factors. 3. No website? – No problem! – Even if you don’t have a website or a blog, you can still share the affiliate link and over e-mail, social media, etc to earn commissions. Google AdSense is good if your website is getting a decent amount of traffic. Only in this case, you will earn a decent money. But since many of the new blogs takes a good amount of time before getting a good traffic, it is not very profitable. So, try to strike a good balance between Affiliate links (banners) and AdSense ads (that’s what most bloggers do). With Affiliate marketing, you can earn a good amount of money on some days and with Google AdSense, you can have constant earnings as long as you are getting traffic!
Some Final Tips to make money with Google AdSense –
Now you are aware of the most part of the AdSense, I have some final tips for you which will make you AdSense experience better.
1. Quick AdSense Chrome Extension –Quick AdSense Chrome extension is one of the best and fastest way to track your AdSense earnings right from your browser topbar. It will show your reports and the earnings which keep on updating as per the interval set by you. It is a great extension to track your’s ads live performance. You can also use Google AdSense Publisher Toolbar for the same.
Download it here – Quick Adsense Chrome Extension
2. AdSense Mobile App –AdSense mobile app is another great tool to track your Ad performance. It is a handy app which informs you about your earnings wherever you go! (Download it on Playstore/App store)
3. AdSense Optimized Themes –You can use AdSense optimized themes for WordPress and Google Blogger to further optimize and make money with Google AdSense. While paid themes like Genesis comes with SEO and AdSense optimizations, you have to search for free themes which can complete this task (there are tons of free themes available for WordPress).
4. Other Websites –Even if you have a fully approved AdSense account, don’t display ads on those websites which do not comply with AdSense Program Policies as you will get your account banned.
5. A mix of Google AdSense and Affiliate Marketing –I recommend using only 3-4 ads on your website and 1-2 affiliate marketing banners to maximize your revenue. If you want to read more about Affiliate Marketing, check out my other articles on the same.
If you have any doubts regarding any section of this post, feel free to contact me. Also, inform me if you want some other topic on AdSense should be covered. I will surely update the post.Read my other articles on AdSense –